Skip to content

Battle of the Lasagna

February 25, 2010

We celebrated Will’s first birthday over the weekend and I wanted to make one of his favorite foods to serve at the party – Lasagna.

Lasagna can be a bit labor intensive, but you can easily make it ahead of time and freeze it, which is exactly what I did. There are so many different kinds and recipes that I have yet to make the same lasagna twice. For Will’s party, I decided to make a traditional triple cheese lasagna (keeping the kids in mind) and a white-based chicken lasagna.

Battle of the Lasagna

Three-Cheese Lasagna with Italian Sausage

This particular recipe stood out to me because it called for both spicy pork sausage and ground chuck. Having both kinds of meat added a lot of flavor, but still kept it pretty neutral for the kids. I also increased the amount of spinach than what the recipe called for because it’s a great way to “disguise” healthy food.  Overall it was good, but I’m still on the hunt for the perfect traditional lasagna.

Cheesy Chicken and Mushroom Lasagna
The white chicken lasagna was great. I was really worried it wasn’t going to turn out because I burnt the cream sauce a little bit and I used no-boil noodles. For some reason I’m a little skeptical about no-boil noodles, but they worked out perfectly. I think what made this recipe was the Gruyère cheese. The cheese added a hint of sweetness to the lasagna. I would definitely recommend this recipe and will make it again.

Overall the party was a success and the “battle of the lasagna” added a fun little twist for our guests. Most everyone tried both and voted for their favorite lasagna. Hands down the Cheesy Chicken Lasagna won! However, the highlight of the party was Will eating his birthday cake!

About these ads
8 Comments leave one →
  1. switty23 permalink*
    February 27, 2010 2:31 pm

Can’t wait to try your chicken lasagna Molly! looks delicious. And Will is ADORABLE! Happy birthday to your little guy!

2. Julie permalink
    March 1, 2010 1:38 am

Looks great Molly! They both look delicious! But, Will steals the show!! Love the birthday pictures!

3. Amanda Lillemoe permalink
    March 3, 2010 9:34 pm

Molly,

I made lasagna once and it was last month and it was the worst lasagna anyone has ever eaten. As always I am inspired by the Urban-A’s

I have to say that I love looking at the pictures.

I was watching the movie Julie & Julia last night and I thought of how much you ladies are so like both characters in the movie!

~ Amanda

4. Trevor permalink
    March 4, 2010 10:15 pm

Molly,

This is great! Happy Birthday to Will, Ben can’t wait to start the swim lessons. Your recipies are wonderful. I look forward to reading about more of them!

Trevor

5. Berit permalink*
    March 5, 2010 9:51 pm

I want to make the chicken lasagna right now Molly! Gruyere cheese makes everything better. Love the pics of Will too!

6. Berit permalink*
    March 5, 2010 9:53 pm

Oh, and one more thing, I think this is my favorite lasagna recipe:

The goat cheese is the secret ingredient here :)

• Anonymous permalink
      March 5, 2010 9:58 pm

Berit – Goat cheese would be amazing!!

7. Kdedolph permalink
    March 31, 2010 9:16 pm

You can’t go wrong with either one. I was there.